Goal & research methods

A complete responsive redesign of My Virgin Media, including the login & registration journeys.

Competitor audit, customer feedback review, analytics review, heatmap review, A/B testing & prototype testing


Introduction
The revamp of the My Virgin Media portal went through many iterations over the span of a few months. As we thoroughly researched and studied not only what services the customer would be interested in, but we also heavily reviewed heatmaps to conclude the optimum experience. We also took time to review legacy designs, customer journeys and customer feedback through the feedback portal to further define the design decision and what customers really want.

The site is fully responsive and built entirely on a modular layout in which the services are defined and displayed depending on the subscriptions the customers have, as well as content interest from algorythms and click behaviour from other areas. Below you will see the interactions I worked on to give My Virgin Media a more lively feel and enhance the user experience further. Subtle and simple animations which are unobtrusive were also integrated into the design.

The redesign also included the full registration and login journeys.
Hypothesis
We conducted a thorough evaluation of user feedback and complaints from Virgin Media customers. This analysis provided valuable insights into customer preferences, needs, and pain points within the service. By carefully studying this data, we were able to develop a clear understanding of what customers wanted and why. We used this data to form our personas and this then formed the basis of our hypothesis, which guided our design and production phases.

Analytics review

As part of our research process, we reviewed the analytics data collected from hotjar heatmaps which were incredibly helpful in deciphering where users are and are not interacting. Ultimately this review allowed us to gather quantitative data on user engagement, behavior, and satisfaction with the existing product. This data provided us with evidence to support our hypothesis and further validate the effectiveness of our new design proposals.
User testing

To ensure the usability and effectiveness of our designs, we conducted quite a lot of user testing at Virgin Media. We invited a diverse group of users to test the prototypes and provide feedback. This user testing process allowed us to gather qualitative data on user experiences, identify any issues or areas for improvement, and make iterative refinements to the designs based on user feedback. The insights gathered from user testing helped us ensure that the final product met the needs and expectations of a large customer base using multiple products such as TV, broadband, phone and mobile.


Conclusion & Handoff

Whilst we were progressing on the redesign of the account screens, we were simultaneously working on a complete overhaul of the login journeys in terms of experience as well as visual look and feel.

Again working very closely with the product owner, engineers and researcher. We simplified the user flows, studied heatmaps on the pre-existing journey, reduced cognitive load on the experience visually as well as behaviourally and finally we synced the look and feel to that of account to create an entirely seamless Virgin Media experience.

In conclusion this was one of the largest projects I've worked on in my career, but was also very successful. The reason for this was a coordinated team, constant communication, daily catchups and the ability to research and test as much as we possibly could. 
Back to Top